您现在的位置是：부모와 아이 >>正文
[HIT Forum] High schooler shares his space dream
简介Choi Se-yeong, a student at Gimhae Bunsung High School, delivered congratulatory remarks for The Kor ...
Choi Se-yeong, a student at Gimhae Bunsung High School, delivered congratulatory remarks for The Korea Herald’s Humanity in Tech Forum as a representative of future scientists moving forward for the nation’s space industry.
“I would like to first express my heartfelt gratitude for giving such an exceptional opportunity to speak at this huge forum,” said Choi at The Shilla Seoul on Wednesday.
As part of an experiment last month, students at Aircraft -- an aerospace engineering club at Gimhae Bunsung High School in South Gyeongsang Province -- successfully launched a helium balloon with a camera into the sky.
“The basic idea was to capture the Earth’s marvelous landscapes in the sky and review the concepts about atmosphere that we learned in Earth Science class,” explained Choi, the key member of Aircraft.
According to Choi, the project actually started last year. The launch last year was also successful, but the students failed to carry out the final stage of recovering the balloon.
“We did an in-depth analysis of factors that led to the last trial’s failure, which guaranteed this year’s success,” Choi noted.
Last year, they used a smartphone as a balloon tracker as well as a camera, which could not endure the stratosphere's cold temperatures of up to minus 70 degrees Celsius. This year, they decided to affix a respective GPS tracker and camera to the balloon, while keeping them warm.
Choi recalled his vivid memory of the launch by showing a recorded video from the camera that was on the floating helium balloon. During its nearly 1 1/2 hour flight, the balloon captured a clear image of the Korean Peninsula and even Tsushima Island of Japan over the clouds while reaching the stratosphere.
“The balloon is expected to climb to 33 kilometers in altitude,” Choi said. After the balloon safely survived its parachute landing, the students recovered it.
“Thankfully, our project was reported in many news outlets and received tremendous attention,” he said.
The 18-year old student is now working on a new small rocket project. “As we take steps toward university, our ultimate goal and dream is to build reusable launch vehicles with Korea’s own technology,” Choi announced.
Choi stressed the need for increased interest in the nation’s space industry. “Your support will allow young students like me to take on new challenges more eagerly,” he said.
“While achieving my dream, I will always remember this honorable moment with Sasha Sagan and Dr. Yi Soyeon,” he said, referring to the forum’s main speakers.
- 부모와 아이
North Korea has held a meeting to hand out gifts to participants in the latest national conference o ...
- 부모와 아이
Bilateral cooperation between Chile and South Korea is crucial, as they have a shared goal of boosti ...
- 부모와 아이
South Korea, the United States and Japan established a trilateral communication hotline, a senior Se ...
- Warmer winter temperatures expected this week
- S. Korea, US, Japan install trilateral communication hotline amid N. Korea, China challenges
- S. Korean industries to see modest recovery in 2024: think tank
- “이게 KF
- Seoul to provide 10,000 portable safety alarms to potential gender
- New fad uncovers old school transcripts for dose of nostalgia
[Herald Review] ‘Our Season’: a relatable story for all moms and daughters
Opposition leader away in court with critics calling for his departure from party
Seoul shares up nearly 1 pct on eased concerns over Middle East conflict
Blackpink survives 7
NY Met exhibition to mark 25th anniversary of Korean gallery
- Samsung sets up control tower for new growth drivers
- Hyundai Motor chief named automotive industry leader of 2023
- 류호정·장혜영의 ‘세번째권력’ “총선서 30석, 200만 득표가 목표”
- 러 매체 “北 위성에 러시아 도움, 근거 없다…포탄 지원설도 마찬가지”
- 조응천 "김종인이 2명 배제하자…민주당, 총선서 제1당 됐다"
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Korean studies in Turkey grows on foundation of strong relations
- S. Korea pushes for using commercial satellites in military communication
- 금태섭 “文 전 대통령, 조국 출마 적절한지 의견 분명히 해야”
- Korean banks at risk of W3tr in losses in HK
- [Hello Indonesia] Hyundai Motor vows to steer Indonesia's transition to EVs
- [Herald Review] Based on true story, 3 boys find justice 16 years delayed in 'The Boys'
- [Today’s K
- 22 busking stages set up at Han River parks
- LG Energy Solution Q3 net soars on US demand
- Book records testimonies of bereaved families, survivors of Itaewon tragedy
- Rich culture of masks in Korea, Japan and China on show at Folk Museum
- 정청래, 가결파 징계에 "신상필벌은 당연…잠시 미뤄둔 것"
- SK Signet delivers W5b ultrafast EV chargers to Revel
- AleXa to perform on Jingle Ball Tour as 1st K
- Eximbank holds workshop on development financing
- The Boyz to return next month with new album
- 윤재옥 "이재명 '내각 총사퇴' 주장, 정쟁을 위한 도전장"
- Hyundai looks to repeat late founder’s Mideast success with EVs, hydrogen
- 4 North Koreans cross East Sea maritime border in first since 2019
- Man fined for assaulting soldiers who refused to praise Kim Jong
- Seoul shares snap 3
- 4 North Koreans cross maritime border, say want to defect
- Yoon attends opening of Korean pavilion at Horticultural Expo in Qatar
- Business sentiment falls in S. Korea over Middle East tensions: poll
- Saudi crown prince gives Yoon a ride to investment forum